What picture comes to mind when you think about Mediterranean cuisine? Probably falafel, lavash, hummus, and pita bread loaded with olive oil. So we tried to give the humble lavash and tahini dip an Indian twist by replacing the olive oil with ghee(that too in small quantity) and the unhealthy refined flour with Jowar atta. The result was beyond our expectations and the taste was simply amazing. The recipe “Tahini Honey Dip with Jowar Lavash” is perfect to satiate your Mediterranean cravings with the Indian vibe. This recipe has the potential to be the highlight of your next party and just the aesthetics are enough to be featured in your next Insta reel.
This recipe “Tahini Honey Dip with Jowar Lavash” can be divided into two components- the dip and the crisp (lavash). The traditional lavash is baked and considered healthy, but the point is that it is made out of refined flour, which has no nutritional value. So we had to replace it and Jowar flour is best for this and works wonders as it already has a drying tendency. Hence, we used it to our advantage. Next, we had to use water instead of oil to make the dip less fatty, but the issue is that olive oil imparts a great flavor and lightens the body of the sauce. So the obvious choice was to use a little amount of A2 ghee which also imparts a great yet differentiating flavor.
Controls blood sugar levels
Improves Heart Health
Aids in weight loss
Help in lowering cholesterol
Loaded with vitamins and minerals.
TAHINI HONEY DIP
- 1/3 cup warm toasted sesame seeds
- 2-3 tbsp Jamun honey
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp green chillie/black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil/ ghee
- Salt as per taste
- Water to set the consistency
- Roasted cumin& chilly flakes to season
Think of this dip as “Til ki chutney”, except for the tang of lemon which is replaced with the sweetness of Jamun honey that compliments the richness of sesame and gives slight bitterness that pairs perfectly with the Jowar lavash.
- The recipe is as simple as it can be. In a blender, put toasted sesame seeds, garlic, green chillies, Jamun honey, and A2 ghee.
- Dry blend for a while and pour water till desired consistency(thick or thin) is achieved.
- Add salt as per your taste.
- Add chilly flakes and roasted cumin powder to season. The dip is ready, now let’s prepare for the lavash.
SPICY JOWAR LAVASH
- 1/2 cup jowar flour
- 2tbsp sesame seeds
- 1tbsp finely chopped curry leaves
- 1 tbsp pizza seasoning/ajwain
- 2tbsp green chilly+garlic paste
- 2 spoon curd
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp baking powder(optional)
- 2tbsp ghee
- Hot water to knead the dough
As we are using jowar flour instead of refined flour, which improves the nutrient composition and it is baked(brownie points). We have also added curry leaves, ajwain, chilly and garlic paste, and some curd and for a crisp and flaky texture, we added A2 ghee and rubbed it with Jowar just as we do for pie dough. But the point to consider is that we knead it with hot water which helps it to retain its shape so that it does not crumble while baking.
- Mix Jowar flour, sesame seeds, finely chopped curry leaves(you can also use kasuri methi instead), ajwain, chilly and garlic paste, curd, salt, baking powder, A2 ghee, and hot water.
- Use hot water in small quantities as you will get the ratio right only when you knead, plus it won’t burn your hands while kneading(you can also use warm water). Knead a soft dough.
- Cover it with a slightly damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 5 minutes
- Roll thinly in between parchment paper to avoid it sticking.
- Cut it into desired shapes.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes at 180° (flipping halfway) till it is crispy. The time of baking will depend upon your oven temperature and the thickness of the lavash.
Ingredients and their benefits of “Sesame Honey Butter with Sorghum Flatbread”
- Sesame seeds are exceptional for oral health and it also helps to lower your cholesterol levels.
- Jamun honey is purely anti-diabetic thus it helps to control blood sugar levels whilst boosting libido as it is rich in antioxidants.
- Black pepper has piperine as an active compound that helps in weight loss and curing cough and cold.
- A2 ghee helps to boost immunity and build strength, mass and muscles as it is enriched in A2 protein.
- Cumin has flavonoids that act as an antioxidant and helps to fight and eliminate free radicals.
- Jowar flour has an abundance of fiber that helps to maintain heart health while being gluten-free and a rich source of protein.
- Curry leaves help to deal with stomach ailments and it has Analgesic and Neuroprotective effects on our body and brain.
- Ajwain has compounds that help to fight bacteria and fungi as it has anti-microbial properties. It also aids in boosting digestion. This is why our mothers give us ajwain with warm water to cure indigestion.
- Green chilly is known to be beneficial for our eyes as it is rich in vitamin C and beta-carotene.
- Garlic helps to lower high levels of blood pressure.
- Curd helps in digestion as it has probiotic enzymes that also help in improving immunity and it is also rich in protein.
NOT BENEFICIAL FOR:
Do not eat Jowar in large amounts as it might lower blood sugar levels too low. Also, overeating Jowar can lead to diarrhea since it is high in fiber.
So, we have established that the recipe “Tahini Honey Dip with Jowar Lavash” will be a hit at your party and you can also boast its healthy ingredients. After all, this is what life is all about: sharing your perspective and trying to make this world a better place. So keep on cooking and keep on sharing.
Check Smartveda to know more!